Tuesday, May 02, 2006

3 Reasons: Issues, Electability and Vision


Dear Friends,

I ask for your support to be the DFL endorsed candidate for Governor this fall. I believe that elections are about the future—about how, together, we are going to address the issues facing our society. It has been 16 years since there was a Democratic governor and it shows. Our taxes are less fair, our environment less protected, our schools less supported. Worse yet, our health care costs have become even more unmanageable.
For 16 years, Senator Lourey has been a leader at the capital on progressive issues and values. Her record of achievement has won numerous awards.
I want your support for three reasons: (1) Issues,
(2) Electability, and (3) Vision.

Issues
I have spent a lifetime standing strong for the DFL values and issues. I have never backed down from controversial issues or from people who attack our values. This is what we will work on together:

Health Care
I became a health care advocate over 25 years ago when my family lost our health coverage. As a small business owner, I know that affordable health care is critical to our company and its employees. I helped create MinnsotaCare, which currently serves over 100,000 of Minnesota’s families. But this is not enough. Today I am ready to create the most comprehensive, universal health care system in the nation. We must create a health care system that covers everyone, is not dependent on their employment status, and provides comprehensive coverage for their entire family.We cannot afford to wait for the Federal Government to make changes to commerce laws. I have designed a specific plan for how Minnesota can tackle this issue now—and I have made it available to the public via my website.

Peace
As the chief author of Minnesota’s anti-war resolution, I knew that this war was wrong before it started. The troops need to be brought home now. When my son died during his second tour of duty in Iraq, I joined with the Gold Star Mothers for Peace and spoke out all across the nation.
Senator Lourey 's refreshing leadership style achieves real change because she honors the different perspectives and needs of her colleagues.

As your Governor, I will bring the Minnesota Guard home. I expect that this will launch a legal challenge to the Reagan-era legislation which nationalized the Guard. I will use my position of Governor to advance the cause of peace, end the war, and fulfill our State’s commitments to our veterans.

Education
As a mother of twelve, I know that every child is unique. Minnesotans must support our teachers by providing the resources they need to make a difference for every child. Substantial investment in early childhood education is critical. Our state must meet its constitutional obligation to provide every Minnesotan with a quality education. We can only do this by taking responsibility for educational funding—not shifting the costs to already strapped local units of government and individual homeowners. It is essential to the health of Minnesota’s economy that secondary education be made affordable for every student whenever they are ready.

Energy
Rising gasoline costs are hurting our families and straining our economy. A real commitment must be made to bringing sustainable renewable fuel sources to market now. As Governor, I will lead the revitalization of our rural communities through the production of solar, wind, and bio-fuels. Under my leadership, Minnesota’s rural and urban communities will work together to lead the nation in a comprehensive approach to the energy crisis by integrating education, technology, policy, tax incentives, and direct economic investment.

Environment
Sound environmental policy must ensure that our great-grandchildren can safely enjoy a green, healthy Minnesota. We must protect open spaces, restore water quality, and improve our air quality by dedicating funding for natural resources. As Governor, I will give Minnesota’s sustainability initiatives the teeth needed to make this state the national leader it can and should be.
Senator Lourey provides the sharp contrast in tone, issues and life story that Democrats need to defeat incumbent Pawlenty in November.

Electability
I know how to defeat an incumbent. I defeated an 18-year incumbent in a conservative district for my seat in the House; I defeated a 26-year incumbent in that same conservative district for my seat in the Senate. I know what it takes—and I have what it takes.

Democrats win when we endorse candidates who have conviction. We beat incumbents when we offer a real choice in leadership style and tone. We win when we endorse candidates with character and real life experiences that connect with other people's lives. We win with candidates that voters can trust.

I will win by inspiring and motivating people across this state to make the change they want to make. I will win because Minnesotans have been waiting long enough for the future we deserve.

Vision
I believe that we, as Minnesotans, embrace a common vision for our state in which every family has the opportunity to live in a safe neighborhood and every individual has access to a living wage job, quality education, and affordable health care. We have seen this vision for our future. Good intentions and powerful words are not enough to get us there. Minnesota has waited long enough for a leader with the courage, passion, strength and experience to make this vision real.

With me as your Governor, this is what our future will look like: Quality affordable health care for every Minnesotan by 2010. Energy independence in our state by 2030. Community and economic revitalization in urban and rural Minnesota. Fiscal responsibility. Real opportunity.

This is the future I will lead us into—where Minnesota is the very best place in the nation to be a child.
Senator Lourey is a tireless campaigner who has compiled a diverse, grassroots campaign team with more experience than any other candidate. She is committed to leading a victory for the entire DFL ticket.

Join Us.
Join me and the 300 delegates who have already committed to supporting me this June. Join the 800 volunteers who are working in their local communities because they are sick of waiting. Join the more than 2,000 donors that have given this campaign the necessary momentum to connect with voters throughout the state.

Join me now by telling me how I can earn your increased support and lead our state into a better future.

Thank you,

Becky Lourey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home